- Heating Your Home Safely
Heating Your Home Safely
Keeping your home and families warm this winter might be easy but lets make sure it is safe as well.
Facts about home heating fires
- From 2008-2010, an average of 50,100 home heating fires occurred in the United States each year and resulted in an annual average of approximately 150 deaths, 575 injuries and $326 million in property loss.
- Heating was the second leading cause of home fires following cooking.
- Home heating fires peaked in the early evening hours between 5 and 9 p.m. with the highest peak between 6 and 8 p.m. This 4-hour period accounted for 30 percent of all home heating fires.
- Home heating fires peaked in January (21 percent) and declined to the lowest point during the summer months from June to August.
- Confined fires, those fires confined to chimneys, flues or fuel burners, accounted for 87 percent of home heating fires.
- Thirty percent of the nonconfined home heating fires occurred because the heat source was too close to things that can burn.
- Smoke Alarm Installation Program
Smoke Alarm Installation Program
Don’t have a smoke alarm, or the one you have does not work?
Through a partnership with the American Red Cross, the Destin Fire Control District is proud to provide a Smoke Alarm Installation Program.
Residents of Destin who do not have a smoke alarm, or do not have a working alarm can sign up today to receive a free smoke alarm.
Call us at (850) 837-8413. Smoke alarms SAVE LIVES!!!
- Important News
Retirement Announcement –
We would like to send our best wishes to Fire Marshal Ron Gerdeman who will retire on February 28, 2017. Fire Marshal Gerdeman is retiring after 16 years in the fire service.
It has been an honor to have worked with you. Your hard work and dedication has greatly benefited our department and community. We wish you and your family all the best in your well-earned retirement. You will be missed!
Regular Monthly Board of Commissioners Meeting – Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 5:30 p.m at 848 Airport Road, Destin, FL 32541
- Up Coming Events
Everyone can safe a life. Sign up for a CPR class and learn how.
- Monday, March 6, 2017 at 8:00am (BLS class)
- Monday, March 20, 2017 at 8:00 am (Standard AED/Heartsaver class)
- Please Call for April schedule (850) 837-8413
For a full listing of future classes please visit our CPR page by clicking this link: CPR page
Contact us at (850) 837-8413 for more information.
Fire Statistics EMS Statistics
|Year To Date 131||Year To Date 258|